Bankruptcy is not a process that is entered into lightly. The following links will help give you a look at some aspects of bankruptcy, but if you are considering filing for bankruptcy, consult a bankruptcy attorney for help with your unique financial situation. For a bankruptcy attorney in the Belleville area, contact Dixon and Johnston, P.C. at (618) 233-1103.
- Though Chapter 7 bankruptcy liquidates many of a debtor’s assets, retirement accounts are safe, up to a certain dollar amount.
- For an overview of taxes that can and cannot be discharged in bankruptcy, click this link.
- This article provides a list of signs that indicate it could be time for you to consider bankruptcy
- Many young people are having trouble paying their student loans—these debts cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.
- Some legislators believe that student loans should be dischargeable in bankruptcy and are working to change the bankruptcy code. Head over to Time.com to learn more about the history of bankruptcy and student loans.
The materials available at this website are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use and access to this website or any of the links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.